1104 Easterwatch

Labyrinth

The Labyrinth is a spiritual tool that has many applications in various settings. It reduces stress, quiets the mind and opens the heart. It is a walking meditation, a path of prayer, and a blue-print where psyche meets Spirit.

Rev. Dr. Lauren Artress, Veriditas founder

Interest and enthusiasm for creating a labyrinth at St. Alban’s as a walking meditation tool originated in 1996 after a group of women from the Episcopal Diocese of Easton participated in “Sacred Circles: A Celebration of Women’s Spirituality”, a weekend educational program offered at the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C. The exterior labyrinth now situated on St. Alban’s property is modeled after the eleven-circuit labyrinth found in the nave of Chartres Cathedral in France. This labyrinth, however, did not materialize immediately.

A 36-foot diameter canvas labyrinth, with the pencil drawn design, was purchased in 1996 from veriditas.org, a non-profit originally affiliated with Grace Cathedral in San Francisco. Parishioners from several churches were invited to paint the lines of the design. Prayers were written on the canvas prior to the painting, thereby incorporating spiritual meaning into the very fabric of this portable labyrinth. In 1999, the canvas labyrinth was ready for loan to churches and community groups interested in sponsoring walking meditation experiences. It is shared regularly throughout our region at no cost, but always returns home to St. Alban’s.

In 2009 St. Alban’s built the present, permanent outdoor labyrinth on a large, circular concrete slab in a landscaped corner of Church property. It has been used by community groups, classes at Salisbury University and individual citizens, and is free and open to the public. St. Alban’s provides hand-outs and knowledgeable facilitators to anyone requesting information and support. After a decade of chipping and deterioration, this labyrinth will be resurfaced in 2020 and ready for use in the Spring.